Saturday, August 29, 2009

One Pochade Box

Since I first posted my “how to build your own Pochade Box” instructions back in February, I’ve had an amazing response from people all around the world. That post is being read in 48 countries and has been translated into 28 languages. There has been an array of correspondences with artist on every continent.

But these are the first images I’ve seen of a Pochade Box built from these plans.
This kit was built by Ruth Vines, a fine artist/graphic artist living in Florida, USA.
Ruth built a 10’ x 12” box with a Plexiglas palette.

Quote: "It was very easy to build, has more space than the small cigar box I have been using thus far (bought at ebay), and with the flatter mixing area I can finally do some knife painting. I put a piece of plexiglass in the mixing area, for easier cleanup."

Not only did Ruth do a beautiful job of making the Pochade kit, but she has already field tested it, producing some stunning work.
Check out Ruth’s work on her site.
http://www.krautart.blogspot.com/

Conquering the world, One Pochade Box at a time. Enjoy, Jim.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting the plans! I never knew it was so simple to make a pochade box. It's definitely better than lugging a french easel around. Now the journey for a decent tripod begins...

    I actually took the liberty of making the top a little thicker and added some space to hold 2-4 wet panels. Haven't decided what kind of latch I want to use so I'm just using a belt to hold everything closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phong, I am glad they were of help to you.

    As far as the tripods, one with a goose neck mount works best. Most are fairly expensive. However if you hit the trift stores like Goodwill. You may find a old tripod for a VHS Camcorder, it will have a gooseneck mount and is very stable.

    I thought about carring panels in the lid, would like to see your design and innovations on the Pochade Box. I am collecting photos from other people that have started with my plans and will publish a post on them later. Would certainly like to included yours in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I'll look out for the tripod. I took the box out today and borrowed a manfrotto tripod from the school. This thing is nice! So solid. Now I can see why people pay so much money for them.

    I had an accident where the tee nut came out but it's being glued in right now with some white glue.

    After I make some modifications I'll be sure to send you photos of the finished box.

    What kind of stain did you put on the box? For now I'm just leaving it bare since my box is kinda beat up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim. I finally got around to uploading the pictures I took during my last outing. I posted them on my blog if you wanna take a look at them.
    http://lemonlips.blogspot.com/
    After using the box a few times, I think it might have been better to just make the panel carrier separately to keep the weight down, but with the box now, I have 1 less thing to carry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim,
    just saw your post here with my photos. Thanks!
    I added a latch to my box that is similar to the ones used for briefcases. Works well. It's not like it has to be really sturdy - nothing can fall out of the box... Still loving it, I'm using it every time I go out plein airing, and a lot of my fellow artists say, oh where did you get that cute box? LOL. I refer them to your site.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete